Wednesday, October 11, 2006



Editor's Extras...
Well, TnT just headed north to the San Juan Ranch to finish some ranch work they started last week. Last week they helped the owner put out supplement for the cattle, tarped hay stacks, and repaired some fencing. They will be gathering cattle tomorrow, so they took Cahlibur and Coal with them this time. They also took their journals with them so I will have to wait for them to get back Friday, before I can post DAY SEVEN of their packing trip into the Sierra Nevada's.
When I was posting DAY SIX...I remembered that there was more to the dip in the lake... Tony ran into the water first and stopped at about waist deep gasping for air and waiting for his heart to start again! From behind he heard Trav yell, "That's not nice!" as he became rooted to the spot at about ankle deep. It took them a bit to get completely submerged!
Last night, I went over to the stables with the guys and got to watch the horses in the turn out pen. What a beautiful site! And funny, too! Each of the horses would take turns running and bucking, which would start the others to running and bucking. Then they would stop and groom each other. At one point, Cahlibur was processing a smell that he picked up at Oakley's feet. He stretched his neck out, nose in the air, with his upper lip lifted and moving from side to side. Oakley is my 7 year old Quarter Horse mare. TnT gave her to me for my birthday last year!
The picture above is of all five mustangs in the turnout pen that is just south of the pens where TnT keep their horses. The colt to Maggey's left is Clancey. He was born to Maggey exactly two months after TnT adopted the mares in February of 2005. He was born with a line down his back, like momma, but has darkened quite a bit. The ground does slope as much as it shows in this picture. The turnout pen is right next to the park and through the years the ground has sunk from all the watering. Years ago the park was a landfill and there used to be stables where the turnout pen is now!

Here is a picture of the horses on their first picket line...they are in front of two of the five stables the guys rent from the Franklin Field Horsemen's Association. From left to right: Coal, Belle, Maggey, & Cahlibur.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Janey, Love the new horse pictures. The colt is handsome. I don't know, what do you call a good-lookin' horse? Do you ride yourself much? Last time I was on a horse was in Hawaii and it was memorable but oh so long ago (14 years). Something to put on the to do list before I die.

Unknown said...

Hi Sheila, I don't ride as much as I want to because I had back surgery 5 1/2 years ago and need a second surgery to get rid of a bone spur. When I do ride, my sons will allow me to ride Cahlibur, the 1300 lb, bay that belongs to my oldest son Travis. And what an experience...he is wide and sure-footed and a dream to ride. I will have to be honest and say that it has been more than 30 years since I had my horse, when I was a young teenager back in Southern Nevada! In some ways...Cahlibur reminds me of my old horse Trouble.
Good-lookin'...handsome...will do, thank you. Clancey is now 1 1/2 years old and thinks that he is the alpha male...that is until he gets in the turnout pen with Cahlibur and Coal. Even though they are geldings they do not let him push them around!

Summitt For Circuit City's new "FireDog"!

Blog Carnivals...

Blog Village Quarterly Carnival
Fall Fest
October 29, 2007 England goes GONZO Carnival BLOG VILLAGE Carnival: Recreation